Author and architect John Howey included Seibert’s pavilion in his essential reference book titled The Sarasota School of Architecture: 1941-1966 and includes a 1962 photo of the structure.
The August 1963 issue of Architectural Record published an article about the design pointing out the way Seibert employed low-maintenance materials such as reinforced concrete and concrete block. The article also examined the construction techniques and the way that the architect protected the structure against storms.
In 1980, the restroom entrances on the beach side of the pavilion. The current renovation aims to preserve the historic pavilion and add a newer building and . The plans by Sweet Sparkman Architects use a covered walkway to connect the buildings. For more details about the project, please click here.
Sarasota County Commission plans a final vote in October 23, 2013 with construction beginning the following month. The projected completion date is late 2015.
The Sarasota News Leader published a lengthy article in its August 30, 2013 edition detailing the plans and including designs plans.
Photo: Beach scene at Siesta Beach Pavilion, Siesta Key, Florida (1930 - 1945): The Tichnor Brothers Collection, Boston Public Library, Print Department
For more information about Sarasota & Her Islands, please contact Louis Wery.